Silhouettes: Chapter 31

Hello welcome back my friend!

Chapter 31: Outcast


I followed my client inside, closing the door behind me blocking some of the dry autumn air outside.
I found myself walking into a small living room. In the center of the living room was an old lady, sitting in a rocking chair knitting what seemed like a thick winter sweeter. She was facing the windows that overlooked the view outside, I watched Nikola's car backing up and driving away.
"*Annem this is Janu my friend."
Weird!!!!
"Alsalam alaykoom." I greeted the old lady.
I bent down to her level to kiss her cheek.
"W alaykoom salam. *Kiz serve your guest some tea."
"*Hayir *teyzem, *hiç gerek yok." I said back smiling.
"*Sen sus. *Kizim go pour a cup of tea." 
My client looked down at the old distressed carpet, avoiding my gaze and weak smile.
I fell silent as my client disappeared into what seems to be the kitchen.
"*Özel derim the house is too cold for a girl like you. You seem to be from one of those posh houses in the center of town."
"*Yok teyzem I am good vAllahi I am."
The old lady went on, it seemed like she was not hearing me at all. 
"No one ever comes to visit her. So I won't let you go easily. Do visit her and come as often as you want, tamam."
"*Tamam." I said back smiling.
"No one seems to want to do with my girl after that dreadful incident. Everyone acted as if it was my angel's fault, when it really wasn't. It was the deed of that sick man."
I blinked at her words, losing mine in the process.
Just then my client walked out of the kitchen, she pushed the cup of tea into my hand, embarrassed but what have been said.
"Teyzam excuse us, I need to speak to Cagla privately. I need to discuss a personal matter with her."
"*Tamam kizim. Don't forget what you promised me."
I nodded at the old lady before exiting the tinny living room.
Cagla walked a narrow passageway,which led up to a scratched wooden door. She pushed the door open revealing a tinny bedroom.
She looked around the room, uncertain where shall I sit.
"Tamam. *Burda." I said placing my cup of tea on the small dresser, motioning the small wooden chair.
"No that is not comfortable."
"Tamam stop worrying." I smiled at her.
I took her by the arm then pushed her down by the shoulders to sit on the bed.
I pulled the little chair and sat opposite to her.
"Before we start I want to apologize about yesterday."
"Ama ..."
I put my hand up shushing her "Let me finish. I am very sorry for letting you down."
I opened my bag pulling out a copy of my appeal against the court.
"I am not walking away nor am I giving up on you." I said smiling as I pushed the copy into her hands. 
I placed a hand over her intertwined fingers "No matter how long that does take I will prove your innocence."

*


The door shut behind me with a soft thud.

I raised my head upwards, looking at the blue skies and the glazing sun.
It was around 2 pm, I have been here for around 2 hours. I think I only grew sicker in these past hours, I was feeling sick to my stomach.
I took a deep breath that I failed to exhale out. A heaviness found it's way, settling deep behind my ribs.

I took a few steps forwards, leaving the tinny old house behind. I reached the wooden gate that surrounded the house.

Oh Nikola
After a few steps I realized his absence. I momentarily forgot he was the one that drove me here.
*Nerde sen?

I looked around for him.
Nerde sen?!
I hope he is well.
From my left a voice came "Looking for me?!"
I turned around facing him.
He stood there smiling warmly at me.
"*Hadi gel." he motioned with his hand, before taking the lead across the grassy road that lead back to the city.

I followed him, following his foot track on the road.
I just noticed it!
Today he and I were weirdly matching.
I had a grey cardigan on with navy jeans, while he had a light grey blouse and black jeans.
It was weird seeing him out of a suit and in casual fitting.
I slowed my steps to observe him. 
Nikola was carelessly holding a black jacket with his right hand while his left was in his pocket.

I watched how each foot stroke the ground leaving a track for me to follow.
How the muscles of his shoulders contracted as he walked.
How his arm rhythmically swung the jacket in his hand with each step that he took.
He kept head low for the most part, looking out for the tiny pebbles that covered the road. While his head still low he took a look sideways looking how further away I was walking.

He suddenly stopped in his tracks.
Why did you stop?!
He turned around to look at me.
"I hope you don't mind taking a little walk with me." he said with a kind smile.
He was smiling a lot at me, not his infamous smirks but sweet genuine smiles.
I shock my head at him.
He nodded back, then took a few steps towards me.
What is he doing?!
He held his jacket up to me "Wear it."
I opened my mouth to object.
"Janu you are already sick. I don't want to make it worse for you. You already look worse than I have left you. Just wear it."
I nodded before he held it up for me to slide my right hand into it.
He moved behind me so I can slide my other hand. I felt my heart beating faster as he pulled the jacket up my shoulders.
Nikole then walked around, to face me.
He startled me, as he suddenly moved his hands closer to my chest, making me pull back.
I looked at him with furrowed brows.
What in the world is he trying to do?!

He looked at me confused then he smiled widely, before lowering his gaze and licking his lips.
Nikola looked up at me again "The buttons. Nothing else was in my intentions."
I bit down on my lip.
JAANUUUUUUUU what were you thinking aptal?!
"*Tamam I can do them. Thank you." 
"*Pardon." he said watching me as I buttoned them myself.
"*Guzel 2-3 sizes bigger ama still beautiful." 
He stood there looking at me weirdly, almost admiringly!!!
I felt the color rising in my cheeks.
Janu what is happening to you?!
"*Hadi gel.' He said walking off  'Don't fall back off."

After a few minutes of walking, Nikola called "Janu" snapping me from my thoughts.
I stopped in my tracks "Cagla needs a...………"
"A therapist." he finished for me.
I looked at him surprised by how he knew what I was thinking about.
He was facing me "Don't worry I already took care of that."
"*Ama how…...?!" I questioned.
"The moment I saw her I just knew it. She is a broken soul." he said looking away.
"Do you know what have happened to her?!" I said as the tears started to buildup in my eyes.
"Tell me." he requested as he took a few steps towards me.
"She wanted to support her family by working. You know that night." my voice started to shake.
I took a breath, attempting to stabilize myself "That night she went back home carrying her biggest scar. She had to wear a coat to cover the sign of his monstrosity. She had to take a foreign route back home, to avoid the questioning eyes. She finally reached her home but only to be kicked out of it. Her mother kicked her out. She dragged her out of the house calling her a disgrace. She was hitting her as if it wasn't enough that she was attacked... As if...………"
I looked away as I started the tears started to flow down my face. "How could her own mother do that to her?!"
I suddenly felt the pad of his fingers wiping my tears, each eye at a time.
I looked up at him. "Nikola, her own mother cursed her and doomed her to a life in the middle of nowhere. An old lady who is a stranger was kinder than her own mother. How can a mother be that cruel to her own child?! How Nikola how?!!"
I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand, looking away at a shrub by the side of the road.

"The world is an unfair place. And sadly we, humans, are the ones who make it so on one another. Wither it is that man or that mother, she is the victim of both." 
A caring hand found it's way to my chin, lifting my head up to face him.
"That's why you and I need to work harder to bring justice to these people, because this is their right. And I promise you we will.' he said firmly looking straight into my eyes 'We will bring her justice, we wont leave her. We will let her walk out, around this town with a high head. I promise you that together we will."
"We will?!" I questioned in-between sobs.
He nodded down at me with a weak smile.
When Nikola removed his hand from my chin, I placed my right hand on his forearm holding him before propelling my head towards him. 
He obliged, leaving me lay my forehead on his chest.
"How can her own mother do that?! How can a mother kick out her own child?! How can kick her child when they need her the most?!"
I looked back up at him. "How can a mother not forgive her own child?! How can a mother not take her daughter back?! How can she leave her incomplete and out in the world, cold and lonely?! Doesn't she know how unhappy she is?! Shouldn't a mother forgive her daughter?!"
He pulled wrapped his left arm around me pulling me closer to him.
"Ssshhh. Tamam. It will be alright. She will be alright and so you will. You are not alone I am here with you. I see you. I hear you. You are not alone, I am here." he whispered.

I let out a few sighs before I turned my head sideways, laying the right side of my face on him.
I am not sure if it was due to my tearful eyes or my imagination, but I think I saw tears in his eyes.
"*Sen *aglama tamam. I have some good news I will share later with you." he said as he pushed back my hair out of my face.
With his hand still on my head, his fingers gently laid on my cheek wiping the tears on my face.
I pressed my right ear harder into his chest.
I closed my eyes and started listening to the only thing that was of comfort for me since yesterday.
That is his heartbeat.


Turkish Words
*Annem- My mother
*Kiz- Girl
*Hayir- No
*Teyzem- My aunt
*hic gerek yok- No need
*Sen sus- You shut up
*Kizim- My girl
*Özel derim- I say specially
*Yok- No
*Tamam- ok
*Burda- Here
*Ama- But
*Nerde sen- Where are you
*Hadi gel- Come quickly
*Pardon- pardon
*Guzel- Beautiful
*Aglama- Do not cry







The end.
Isnt it beautiful how Nikola understood Janu?!
How he managed to understand that she was talking about her mother's situation.
What do you think that Nikola want to share with her?!
As for Janu is so confused at the moment by her own feelings. She believes that she threw those teenage feelings on her crush long ago.

I would like wish someone a happy birthday. 
So Happy birthday Rawanim, sending you lots of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts