Silhouettes: Cahpter 32

Welcome back.
I missed you.
These days have been gloomy and stagnant for everyone, I know because I myself have been there.
So I am sending you lots of my love and hugs.
I hope this chapter can make you smile and rest your busy mind for a couple of minutes.
I want to clarify that the events are taking place at (mid-August to early-September)

Chapter 32: Timing

Janu sat across me, dividing us was an old rectangle wooden table. Wood were all around us, from the floors to the walls, except for the glass wall to my left. Even with the window separating us from the world outside, I could still hear the chipping birds outside.
The air was filled with home-made goodness, borek and dolma. 
We were at a restaurant that was nearly empty since it was past lunch time. But the old lady was sweet enough to let the two travelers have a meal at her restaurant. 
I leaned forward placing my right arm lazily on the chair next to me.
Janu kept staring out the window, it was of a small garden covered with colorful wild flowers.
She had her chin leaning on her right hand. She was watching a sparrow hoping around, smiling to herself the faintest of smiles. 
*Sen ne guzel?!
I rubbed my fingers against the wooden chair, wanting to make sure that it wasn't all in my head.
I kept watching her. 
She suddenly moved, alert about how she wasn't alone.
She looked over at me.
I tilted my head to the right, giving her a puzzled look before I smiled at her.
"*Ne?!" She asked.
"*Yok bi şey" I replied, softly closing my eyes.
She let out a breath as she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. Her way of getting serious.
"You said you had some news to tell me. *Alnat o zaman."
A true lawyer, she never forgets.
"*Bu arada where have you been the past two hours?!"
"Are you interrogating me, *Janu hanim?!" I asked looking at her sideways.
"Yoh why would I interrogate you?!"
"You are that curious about me?!' I placed a hand on my chest, before adding smugly 'To what do I owe such an honour?!"
"I am not." she replied lightly shaking her head.
"It is okay if you were. I don't mind."
"Huh. I don't even care...."
"Did I ever say you were?!"
"You just said I was concerned." She stated pointing at me.
"Did I?!" I asked leaning in towards. 
Janu bent her neck forward, concentrating her gaze on the empty plate in front of her, she was recalling what I said earlier.
She blinked a couple of times, so I seized the chance "Did I?!" I asked smirking.
"*Tamam." she said flatly with her gaze still fixated on the plate.
She crossed her arms, raising her shoulders slightly in a defensive manner. She were unintentionally pouting.
My lawyer looked like a child who was pissed at the world and couldn't retort back. 
How beautiful are you!
"Actually the answer to both of your questions is in my past two hours." I said holding back a smile.
"*Soyle o zaman." she said with her head still low, but now her eyes were fixated on me.
"Curious aren't we?!" I said raising an eyebrow at her.
"Oufff ya. I don't want to know anymore." she said raising her chin and looking away.
Like I said earlier, she can be such a child sometimes.
I resisted the urge of smiling or worse laughing.
"Tamam." I replied, leaning back into my chair.
I turned my head to enjoy the scene, while waiting for it.
"Are you serious right now?! *Hadi anlat." she damned.
I looked over at her shaking my head, lightly laughing and biting into my lower lip.
She cannot even resist the temptation of not knowing for a minute.
*
The noon sun struck, hitting me directly. It was around 12 something.
I wiped a bead of sweat breaking on my forehead with the back of my sleeve. Then I bent back behind the car's hood. I was in this driveway next to a big house.
"Pardon" a soft voice came from behind me.
I looked over my shoulder.
"Are you okay?! Do you need some help?!" it was a young girl, around 17 dressed in a school uniform standing on her toes trying to figure out what I was doing.
"*Evet' I stood up to face her 'I need some antifreeze, my car overheated."
She looked at me bewildered.
"In simple terms, my car was smoking and I need some water."
"Tamam. I will help you then." she said smiling.
"Tesekeler ama I wont let a girl carry a heavy gallon of water for me."
"This is my house.' she pointed with her thumb. 'so you can carry it yourself.
"Oh." was my only reply.
I nervously scratched my cheek with my right hand.
"You left some..."
"Ne?!"
"Your face." she said pointing at my cheek.
I wiped it with my other hand but she suddenly shouted "Oh my you made it worse."
I looked down at the palm of my hands, then I said smiling at her "Well both are equally dirty."
"I can tell. Just follow me, wash up and take the water that you need." she said with a kind smile.
"Tamam." I replied smiling widely at her.
I followed her silently, she took me through the side door which lead to a huge garden. After crossing most of it, the house came into sight surrounding a huge swimming pool. The house had a U shape kind of design.
We walked across the swimming pool, before stopping halfway. 
"Are you not worried about who I am?!" I asked looking around.
"What do you mean?!" she asked looking over at me.
"I am a stranger, a traveler. You cannot just let me into your house." I replied fixating my eyes on the furthest wing of the house.
"Well you are right but you don't seem like a criminal. Are you?!"
"I am not, but you shouldn't trust me."
"Well I am not worried." she stated as she motioned behind me.
I followed her gaze, fisting my hands and biting down on my jaw.
She the kitchen's door open.
"Hadi gel." she said welcoming me in.
But I couldn't move for a second.

*

I arrived at the Cami, as Cuma namaz just on time.
The Imam talked about judgement. How only Allah shall be the one to judge us.
Funny how in this town, people have judged and doomed that innocent girl for a crime she never committed or wanted. But I guess, we are humans filled with faults. It is easier to blame and point fingers, make it easier for us to go to bed every night rather than taking the responsibility.
Life and it's darker side.
When the prayers was dismissed, I stood by a tree watching the packs of people leaving.
"Sen." I called over to a young man passing by next to me.
He squinted his eyes "*Avkat Nikola?!" 
I smiled at him "Just Nikola this time."

I sat down at a small coffeeshop, watching the small tornado forming in the glass cup of tea I just stirred.
"How is Fatemah?!"
"She is doing well. And thank you for acquiring after me."
I let out a small laugh "How have you been doing?!"
"I am fine. How have you been yourself?!"
"I am good. Here are the documents I told you about last night." I stated handing him a file.
"Tamam leave it to me." he said as he took the file.
"I will be back in a couple of days. So I will see you then Selim." I said patting his shoulders.
"Tamam don't worry."
"I am not."
I looked down at my watch.
Oh Janu.
"I have to go." I said walking off to my car.
"Tamam. See you then cousin. You better stay the night at my place." he shouted behind me.
I smiled to myself, then waved at him without turning around.
"I will." I replied looking around at him.

*
"I visited the Opponent's house?"
"You visited the opponent house?!" Janu asked mouth agape.
"I know it is illegal. But I went undercover." I stated, winking at her.
"How could you do that without telling me?!"
"Well I needed to find some clues."
"I should have been the one going there." she shouted, banging her hand on the table.
"Watch your tone Janu. If you were with me it would have been more suspicious. We would have been exposed."
"I don't care. This is my case not yours." she pressed back.
"Well if you think that I would let you set foot in that monster's house then you are very wrong. Not over my dead body." I said back now a low firm tone.
"You have no right, whatsoever, to control where I shall and shall not go."
"Well I do if that would put you in danger, then I do. I wouldn't let any girl set foot in that house, let alone you, especially you."
She banged the table again "This is my case."
I took a deep breath, I was on the edge of losing it.
I stood up "This argument is pointless. We are not seeing eye to eye. I am not going to sit here arguing with you."
I stepped out of my chair, I just walked away from the table.

And with each step that I took I had a sinking feeling in my chest that I knew coexisted in her own chest.
But staying there would have meant that I might break her.
And I couldn't bear doing that, not now after her breakdown minutes ago.
I couldn't and I wouldn't not now, not ever. So I just walked away, for now.


I know not the happiest of chapters, but it will make sense soon.
Winky face.
-------------------------------------------
Sen ne güzel                      how nice 
Ne                                       what
Yok bişey                          there nothing 
Bu arada                           this time 
Janu hanim                     miss janu
Soyle o zaman                tell me than
Hadi anlat                       tell me
Teşekkürler                    thank you 
 ama                                 but 
Avukat Nikola                attorney nikola
Cuma namaz                 friday prayer 
tamam                            okay
evet                                  yes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts