Silhouettes: Chapter 6

Hello.

Welcome back!

Let's just dive in into it.

Today Janu's POV.


Chapter 6: Called Out



Niko stared at me, winked and sent me a flying kiss before leaving the room.
I let out a frustrated shout as I stamped my foot into the floor. Then I threw the sugar cube in hand at the door, sending a sugary explosion all over my office.
I looked at the sugar particles they presented how I felt once.

"I WILL GET YOU NIKOLA GJOKA. I PROMISE YOU THAT I WILL WIN THAT CASE. MARK MY WORDS AND REMEMBER MY RPOMISE." I shouted my promise at the door he shut behind him.
But I knew he heard me, because when Mia opened the door, I saw him standing by her desk. He was blinking with his mouth agape while taking in my words.
*
I held the cold undrunk cup of tea Mia made me as, I sat on my office chair after I cleaned my office floor.
He wasn't wrong, the summer vacation following my first year finals, I met him in person.
But that wasn't the entire story.
I picked up my phone "Selam Murat, I need to meet you as soon as possible." I said when the other end of the line picked up.
*
"So out of all people you are going up against him in court?!" Murat asked surprised.
I exhaled as I said "Sadly."
We sat in a little coffeeshop by the Bosphorus, Murat is my witty collegemate and friend.
Okay, so Eve didn't come alone into my life. Eve was followed by Adam, no jokes. He was her childhood neighbor, the two of them were beyond crazy for one another.
Adam's best friend was Murat who looked like Harry Potter. He had the same black hair and wore glasses, yet he had Hermione Granger brains being a total bookworm.
I called him today because he is a civil lawyer and he knows more about divorce cases than I ever did.
He looked up at me over the top of his glasses and smiled sneakily at me.
He sat back crossed his arms and finally said "So out of all people Nikola Gjoka?! Will you enlighten me how, please?!"
"Murat you know I just started working alone, so I will take whatever case that comes my way for now. Come on, I am not a child, holding grudges and going for revenge, am I?!" I asked with a raised eyebrow.
"You do remember what happened in our 2nd year don't you?! How he called you out?!!!" He asked me shocked.
*
(7 years a go) 
On the 28th of January. 

"Please Janu, please, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssssssse." Eve begged in a nasally voice.
She was sick, very sick. And being the little duck that she was, her favorite speaker/lawyer/crush/future husband was invited by our college to give a motivational speech to the students, today.
That being lawyer Nikola Gjoka, off course!
She kept talking about it for weeks prior the set date of him coming. When we walked the halls, when we had our study groups with Adam and Murat, when we she and I had some girls time.
He was talked about nonstop all the time, all day long.
And it was very hard on me for I was trying to convince myself I wasn't into him. But it was near impossible after meeting him in that conference.
"Please Janu I am too sick, I cannot meet him like this. Take this recorder and record him for me." she said while blowing her nose.
"Tamam.' I finally gave into her pleas. 'But when I come back this tea will be drunk and you will be resting tamam little lady."
She nodded as she picked up the fresh cup of tea I just made her and she started drinking it.
"Hadi, go, go it is 10:20 already and he will start at 10:30. Run, run." she demanded. I exhaled, shook my head at her while taking her recorder, and went for the door.
I started walking fast exiting her apartment building, actually this is perfect, Eve was my excuse to follow his work secretly.
"Silly girl come back to you senses. You aren't in love with him" I slapped some sense into myself as I started walking up the street.
10:25
I just reached the campus building, I had no idea were his motivational talk was held. I looked around trying to find someone to ask. But the campus was deserted.
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
My phone vibrated in my pocket, I pulled it out and it read 'Building 1, Lecture Theatre 4. Love you, Eve!'
I shook my head and smiled at my screen, she is crazy but saving me at the same time.
I looked up and realized I was near building 5, damn it.
I started running, I looked down at my watch as it stroked 10:30. Damn it, that building is 15 minutes away from me. I kept running and running, building 4,3, and 2 came into sight and blurred out.
A little bit more, come on Janu.
At last I reached Building 1, it was already 10:45.
I looked around and slowed down my pace in search for the Lecture Theatre 4.
I turned on the recorder as I pushed the back door open and went in. Heads snapped around looking at me.
I disturbed them.
The young lecturer stood in the middle of the theatre, the lights were dimmed except on him. He stopped talking and was waiting for me.
Nikola! I thought to myself as I stood for a second admiring him.
"So you came for a lecture on how to be a better lawyer, 20 minutes late and disturbing me?!" He asked me annoyed, interrupting my happier thought.
I held the recorder tighter between my hand.
"I, I …. sorry." I said in a barely audible voice.
I was out of breath and hyperventilating.
He put a hand not wanting to even hear me out "Waiting for an invitation?! TAKE A SEAT" He said firmly.
The hall was packed I looked around, then saw Murat and Adam putting their hands up motioning to me. They saved me a seat. Only issue was they sat on the third row, center.  I walked over to them and started to squeeze my way to the empty seat.
A loud thud came up from the front startling me. Nikola smacked the desk next to him. 
"CAN YOU BE ANY FASTER YOUNG LADY?! WE DONT HAVE ALL DAY LONG." He shouted at me, while picking up the water bottle and drinking from it.
I finally got to the seat and sank my body into it, in hopes I can sink deep into and vanishing. Murat gave me a weak smile trying to comfort. I was about to burst into tears in that moment. I took a deep breath swallowing back my tears. I turned to Murat and said "Eve gave this recorder to...….."
"HMMMM, HMMMM.' Nikola coughed loudly. 'Mind sharing with us what you are talking about?! What can be that important?!"
"Nothing sir." Murat replied politely. 
Where is the sweet gentleman I met months a go?!!!
"So as I was saying, time management is vital in success, you need to respect others time. Unlike some in here." He said as he stood before me. The audience laughed in response and I looked down embarrassed.
The entire speak went that way, he tortured me, referencing back to me every now and then.
"So moral of the story don't be late." He said again.
I couldn't bare it anymore, I pushed the recorder into Murat's hand, as I got up from my seat.
Just as I did, he turned around "HEY YOU!!! GOING SOMEWHERE?!!!! YOU WILL BE THE LAST TO LEAVE THIS HALL TODAY." He announced while pointing a finger at me. "You will pay for disrespecting me twice, first by coming late and then by wanting to leave. Oh add to that the fact disturbing me and your mates! SIT BACK DOWN."
I did. 
The talk went for the next 15 minutes, but it felt an eternity for me. I was being punished, ridiculed, belittled, and laughed at for a crime I never committed. But it was too late, he already executed. It was too late.
At last, the talk was over and everyone got up from their seats.
Adam, turned around to me and said "What is wrong with this jerk?!I will go beat him up for you. No one can treat my sister like that."
"Adam, tamam, shut up." Murat said back.
"So Eve forced you to come to this dolled up lawyer, hadn't she?! She did the same with us." Adam said trying to distract me.
I didn't respond back.
The theatre was emptying out and Nikola was surrounded by packs of students.
I looked down the row I sat in, only 2-3 students left in it besides Adam, Murat, and I.
I got up, pushed my way through the crowds, and made my sprint towards the back door I entered from.
Midway through my sprint, his voice called after me "YOU!!! DONT RUN. I AM NOT DONE WITH YOU."
I pushed the door open as my tears streamed down my face.  
"COME BACK." his voice boomed after me, as the door shut closed behind me.

*
On that day, I sat on my stairs on the beach and wept.
I wept out my broken heart and secret dreams.
I admired him, I fell for him in the mere of the moment.
I was young, too young back then, only being 18 at the time.

"...….Janu." Murat called me, snapping me back to present time.
I looked back at him, he smiled and said "Tamam, I will help you. You will win this case. I promise."

---------------------------------
Turkish Words

Tamam * - okay
Selam *   - hey
Hadi *     - lets go





I would like to say something after this sadder chapter but me saying it will give a lot away.

Just be patient with me and have some faith.

Good day/night beautiful soul.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts