Silhouettes: Chapter 23

Hello welcome back.
Let's go.
This is a shorter one, but the one after will make up for it. *winky face


Chapter 23: Rooftop


I sat on my office chair tapping my heels onto the wooden floor, nervously. I held my owl necklace in between my fingers, moving it side to side across it's silver chain.
I eagerly sat waiting for the documents that Noah will be delivering to me any second now.
I have a big case coming up in a few days and it is the kind of case that drains you.
I literally have been waking up and sleeping on this case. I even had been having my meals while I read the newly found evidence and documents.
It is not an easy one to be honest.
Yes, I have been working on my own criminal cases for some time now, but this is my first independent sexual assault case. 
And it is a bit scary, for it is very sensitive. It is...…
A knock came interrupting my thoughts.
"*Gel" I said automatically.
I just need to get my hands on those documents.
"Asalam alaykoom" my old man said as he peaked around the door.
"May I come in?!" he asked.
I stood to my feet welcoming him in "Gel gel." 
I haven't seen him in weeks, like I already said I have been very busy.
As soon as he closed the door behind him, I ran up to him.
I threw my arms around him, hugging him tightly.
Ah I need this hug, especially from him. 
His hand kept running over my back, my hair, while the other stayed over my left scapula.
I slowly closed my eyes, letting all that heavy weight I was carrying subside and fade away.
I felt much lighter and calmer than I have been for the past few weeks.
A father's blessings I guess.
It is like he knew what I needed.
He just stood there for me, giving me permission to stay in his arms for as long as I needed.

After we broke our hug, he asked "How is my Janu?!"
"*Iyi." I said as I walked with his hand in mine, guiding him to the coach.
"So my Nano have been busy, haven't you?!"
"Yes." I said sighing.
"Well I have been promised a breakfast with my granddaughter ages ago, what have happened to that?!" he asked with raised eyebrows and a half crooked smile.
"Huh' I laughed nervously as I added 'You didn't forget that?!"
"I never forget. I have been waiting for the time that best fits you. But you have been jumping from one case to the next for the past year."
"Baba...." I started.
"*Tamam it is on me."
"Baba don't say such a thing. My money is all yours, but I am very busy, truly. No hiding or excuses this time I promise. We will have that breakfast, how about directly after the trial?"
"*Soz?!" he asked with his eyes gazing at me, questioning me closely.
"Soz Baba. Soz." I said laughing.

"So how is everyone?!"
I haven't seen my family in a while now.
Besides their occasional visits I haven't been seeing them much.
I made sure my schedule and time were filled up that I wont have time for anything else.
Yes even in Eid, new year, and any other occasion.
I spent them all alone, working.
"Iyi"
"Toska?!"
"Iyi. Waiting to show you her new princess dress. I guess that's how our Toska misses you." he said laughing.
I let out a little giggle before asking "How is Lorik?!"
"Iyi. He is missing you quite a lot. He keeps asking about you whenever he sees me."
"And how are my sister?!"
He closed his eyes as he answered me "They are all well. Get to it. Who do you want to ask about?!"
I opened my mouth, wanting to object.
"I can read your eyes just like I can read hers. And her eyes say she misses you like hell, just like you miss her. How you two carry it in every look, in every word, in every motion. You miss her and she does you."
I let out a deep sigh, looking down hiding my eyes away from his.
"Well she ever take me back?!"
"She will...…."
And a knock came disturbing us.
"My case." I said as I got into my feet.
That knock snapped me back into real life.
It was like my father was a beautiful peaceful stop on my day, but times up. Now was the time to get back into reality. 
"Gel." my father said.
I looked at him puzzled.
He beamed at me assuring me that he does understand.
"Salam." Noah said walking in.
"Gel *oglum. I am leaving." my father announced.
"Salam Noah." I welcomed my blonde friend.
My father put an arm around me, before pulling me into a hug. He went on and said into my ear "She will take yo back. *Sabret. Meet me on that breakfast and let us work things out when you are in a calmer place. Tamam?!"
"Tamam." I said as I surrendered into his hug.

He pulled away breaking our hug, then placed a kiss on my forehead before he walked out.
He looked back at me smiling before he closed the door behind him.

"Sorry for interrupting the two of you."
"It is okay. You are late." I said back smirking.
"No I am not. I saw him walk in while I was talking to Mia. So I decided to give you two a minute. But then Mia told me you will hang me by my tie, if I didn't deliver these documents. And I don't want that to happen."
"Huh smart choice." I said as I headed to my desk.

The blue eyed blond sat across from me so we could start working.
Noah was a college friend.
We were friendly, not that close to call him a friend.
He was the one that sought me out for this case. The victim is a relative of a friend of his. 
He is in financial law, but he is helping me out with documents and evidence.
*
I walked into our apartment.
Yes I started calling it that, I started paying the bills and buying the groceries. Too badly it was already bought or I would have paid it's rent as well.
I flipped the lights on, brining the apartment into life.
Eve was at her Grandma house tonight she will be coming tomorrow.
I let out a breath as I walked into my bedroom that were only illuminated by the lamp post in the street outside.
I walked by the digital clock that displayed it was 12:07 am now.
I stayed that late in the office working, then had Noah drop me off.
I dropped my body onto the bed, pushing my body back into the mattress, as my toes kept touching the floor beneath me.
I stared at the ceiling above, a wave of light rising and falling on the ceiling as the curtains played in the breeze.
I closed my eyes as I imagined a wave coming, rising, then taking over me.
I turned to my right, brining my knees up into my chest, hugging myself.

And before I knew it I surrendered into the exhaustion, into the night.

*
(The night of the trial)
I laid on my back, no trail of sleep is left between my eyelids.
I looked over at the clock.
11:37
I have been in bed for an hour and a half now.
I pushed the covers off, as I finally sat up.
"OUFFFF. Yoh it wont work like this."
I grabbed my phone before I stood up and ran to the front door, praying I wont get caught by Eve.
I put on my pair of worn out converse on, then threw on a pullover.
I pulled my hair from under it as I quietly opened the door.
I walked up to the elevator, after getting in I put on my headphones and dived into my music.
Echos - Take

BING
The elevator finally stopped.
I planned to get to the beach under, but tonight I wanted a change of scenery.
I stepped out the elevator, I walked up the gated door and put in the code the security gave me.
Don't ask.
I had to take a case of his, he was in debt, in return for the code and his silence. No one was allowed to come up here.
Oh I also had to swear to him that I am not suicidal.
I walked into the open space, into my rooftop.
The wind pushed against my face, sending a shiver down my spine. It was quite windy tonight.
I crossed my arms over my chest as I walked ahead, standing exactly in the middle of the roof. 
The city was behind me, and the beach ahead of me.
I took a deep breath, after which I sat down, looking at my city and my beach one last time before I took my position.
Tonight these two wont fill me up, they couldn't cover me.
I pulled my hair away, over my left shoulder before I pressed my head into the hard ground.
Yes not very sanitary but I couldn't care less, I can always shower later.
I pressed my hands by my sides into the cold floor.
I looked at the dark skies above.
It was a starless night, or may be from all the city lights I couldn't see any.
But it was also clear, not a single cloud to be seen.
But it was also pitch black and that's exactly what I needed.
I starred into the darkness, into the empty space above.
The skies above portrayed how I felt exactly, empty.
I looked to my right at the moon that was looking at me over the beach. 
It was lonely tonight, as I was.
I closed my eyes.
I am lonely.
I am miserable.
I laid there watching the dark sky, wishing it would somehow engulf me.

*
7:04 am.
I straightened my black dress before I grabbed my briefcase and robes.
I walked over my closet, then I bent down.
"*Nerde bu...…" I was looking for my nude heels.
I stopped at my peach heels.
I looked at them, grabbed one pair. 
I moved it between my hands, as if I was examining it.
Wow how can one item hold so much.
I smiled half a smile as I recalled what I thought in that day. Even with all the pain it gave me I was glad that I wore them because they gave me extra height.
But that was all in the past now.
I grabbed the other pair.
"Janu it is time to let go of that." I said as I grabbed an old shoe box and put them in there.
"JANU." Eve shouted making me jump a bit and drop the box.
"*Affendim"
The door swung open as she declared "Hadi gel, breakfast is served Avkat hanim"
"Tamam." I said as I grabbed my nude heels.
"What is that?!" she asked as I grabbed my phone.
"*Ne?!"
"The box?!"
"Oh that..."
She looked sideways at me waiting for a reply.
"A donation item." I said as I pulled her by the arm, trying to guide out of my room.
"Tamam I will take care of that."
"*HAYIR" I fired back.
"Tamam tamam sakin. Let us now focus on our big case. Hadi gel I made you a killer breakfast."
I nodded silently.
Why did I just shout at her?!
For a second, I looked back at the shoebox.
*
Eve and I walked out, waiting for Noah to pull over.
"So Noah!" she exclaimed as she wiggled her eyebrows at me in the funniest way ever.
"EVE." I said firmly while punching her arm
"Ne?!" she argued back
Before I could argue, a honk came interrupting us. It was Noah.
"Salam Noah cem. *Gunaydin. How are you doing?!" Eve said waving at him.
"Salam Eve. Gunaydin. I am great thank you and I will be better after we win this case. And we will."
"You bet you will. You have our girl at your side." she said, clapping her hands happily.
I shook my head at her then smiled to Noah and said "Gunaydin Noah." 
"Gunaydin JanJan."
"*Hadi we better go." I announced as I kissed Eve goodbye.
She pulled my slightly in whispering "I don't recall Noah being this hot. And already at second base, calling you JanJan."
"Eve." I said through greeted teeth.
Not the right time at all.
"Tamam tamam." she said putting her hands up.
I walked to car as Noah opened the door from his seat for me.
"Thank you."
"What did I say?!" Eve said in a low voice for me only to hear.
"Welcome." Noah said back.
I sat down facing Eve and mouthing to her "I will kill you."
"Hayir *guzelim. You will win this case." she said winking at me.
I mouthed the same words again at her, as I brought up my claws, motioning that I will strangle her.
"Hadi *alslanim. *YURU. Make me proud." Eve shouted as we drove off.
Noah started to laugh at her while I watched her getting smaller and smaller in hindsight.


After driving a few blocks, I asked Noah if I could play my playlist.
"Tabi go ahead."
I connected my phone and it played.
SYML - Where's My Love

"Nice" Noah announced after a few seconds.
"I know I love this song, it is my favorite. It is very calming."
"So who does represent for you?!" he asked
"Nobody" I said shrugging
"Well you said it is your favorite. If you ranked it in that position it must have spoken to you differently, didn't it?!"
"I.....I never thought of it in that way to be honest. I don't know."
"Tamam may be now you can think of that and take your mind of the case a little." he said winking at me, with his dark blue eyes.
I really don't know.
But all that I know is that since this song I have been introduced to the 'Indie genre' and it all that I listen to it now.
Since then...……………..

*

I got out of the car after the long drive here. 
It was 8 am now and the court is at 9am, but we decided to meet with my client earlier to make sure she was alright for the trial.
It was a sunny clear with a beautiful breeze.
I need to get to my beach today with this perfect weather. Even go for a swim.
But there was something in the air.
I took a deep breath with my eyes closed trying to make some sense of it.
But I just could not.
"JanJan. Shall we go in?!" Noah asked from the other side of the car.
I nodded silently, before I walked ahead.
I walked into the building with this weird sensation.
As I finished my security check, my heart picked up it's pace. Something will happen any second now, I could sense that.
I walked looking left and right trying to make some sense of this hunch.
"Janu." Noah called from behind me.
"Sorry." I said in a low voice.
I walked ahead of him leaving him behind at security.
"It is okay. We are all on our nerves today" He said laughing, as he ran up to catch up with me.
We walked on and my heart kept beating faster.
I put a hand over my heart and took a deep breath.
"Are you okay?!" Noah asked in a concerned tone.
"Mhm" I nodded.
I didn't feel like talking or explaining myself.

I looked up, ahead of me there was some activity ahead.
I saw a small group of 3 men and 2 women gathering to the right side of the hallway.
There was someone who was brining life to the place to them, making them laugh.
"Janu it is ahead to the left, right?!" Noah asked, as we walked further down the hall.
"Yeah." I said as I tiptoed, trying to look at that person.
I slowed down my steps.
By this point I could hear my heart beating into my ears.
"Janu....." Noah said but I have no idea what he said.
"*Evet" I said to shush him, while my eye stayed on that crowd.
I didn't have to look harder anymore, for he walked away from them.
He walked with his head still turned to them as he waved "*Hadi bye bye" with his right hand, while his left was in his pocket.
Is it.....?!
He walked still facing them only turning his when he was a few steps away from me. He slowly turned his head forward, towards the hall, to me.
And I froze.
He walked The hall and with every step that he took, the smile that his face wore got smaller and smaller.
At his sight my mouth fell agape, my breath seized, and my knees shook.
And by the time he reached spot I froze in, his smile vanished, he nodded to me.
I kept looking into his eyes trying to make some sense from them, but he didn't allow me. He didn't give me the time to analyze them, as he turned his head back to his friend.
He walked past me, leaving me behind.
I swallowed hard as I looked back behind him.
He looked at his friend allowing me to see the side of his face, before he looked down.
He walked on, leaving me behind looking at him and his trail.
He was about to turn around the corner, stopping for a split second as I called under my breath "Niko"

*
It appeared I was the one in need of that hour and not my client. I ran into the bathroom washed my face with cold water and slapped some sense to myself.
I called Eve I needed a reality check, which she never fails to deliver.

I stood outside the courtroom, with my client on my right and Noah on my left side.
So Niko is back in town.
JANU STOP IT
I shut my eyes tight and went on to revise the case in my head.
I found a hand reaching for my arm, comforting me. 
When I opened my eyes, I found it to be of my client. She gave me a small smile, I smiled back at her as I placed my hand over hers.
Our silent promise to one another that neither of us is alone in this.
And they called us in.
We took our seats.
Now not Niko or even my mom could have a place in between my thoughts.
"Rise." they said as the judge walked in.
We sat back down and we started.
"We are here for the case number 2008 for the accusation of sexual assault of...."
Her name is not important for you to know, but her case is.
She is a 20 year old village girl who was raped by a 45 year old predator she worked for. He was rich, while she was a poor underprivileged girl who had to support her family. One Friday night, she stayed behind cleaning while he and his family spent the night out of town. There wasn't any workers around either, that day was off for all workers, since the family was away. She was there to finish the last hours of her work.
Mr. Predator drove the way back to get some of his work done.
He found her alone, asked her to come to his office to "serve him some tea". 
But that was invitation to attack her.
Now we are accusing him of that.
And the hard part, it is our word against his. 
And what makes it even harder is that it happened a year a go.
So a physical doctor's report cannot prove much, since it will only show she is not a virgin, which can be blamed on her sexuality.
Only the psychological report could help.
After reading the case the judge asked the opponent side to defend themselves.
"I would like to ask the girl to testify."
"OBJECTION" I shouted as I stood to my seat. I saw her in right corner of my eyes shaking her head at me in fear.
The idiot didn't have the decency of calling her "*Hanim". I will make you pay for this.
"Granted." the judge said.
We were in no way prepared for that, for her to testify. It was hard in itself brining her down here.
"Stick to the case sir."
"I have a question. What proofs that my client raped her?! Let us look at facts. He is a happily married established man. Why would he rape her?! May be she seduced him, couldn't she?! May be she is here for the money, nothing else."
"OBJECTION." I shouted, fisting my hands.
Oh how I want to punch his mouth right now.
"Mind your tone *Beyefendi."
Not even his lawyer is human, they are all monsters.

For the next hour it went on like this, he claimed that his client is innocent, while mine is a total homewrecker.
I kept objecting and saying that she is not, that she was raped.

*
(15 minutes break)
"*Bak the judge is now deciding what will be the next step. He would ask for a psychological report and schedule another trial buying us more time to get more evidence." I shared with her the good news as Noah walked up to us.
"Good job our *avkat hanim." Noahm said smiling 'We will win this."
At last, the court was called into order.
I smiled over to my client.

"Court has made the decision for the case of sexual assault number 2008 pleaded by lawyer Janu against Mr. Predator the court decided according to law 225 of criminal laws that a punishment cannot be executed due to the case being too old and the lack of proof."
My mouth fell wide open at his words.
"What does that mean?!" my client asked tugging at my sleeve, like a pleading child.
I held one finger up to her as he finished his sentence. "The court calls the case dismissed."
And the judge stood and walked away and the rest of the court followed his footsteps.
I sat there, paralyzed on my seat.
"What does that mean?!" she asked again.
How could I tell you any of this.
Luckily, Noah came to my side "It means we didn't win this round. Ama we will work this out. We will plead the supreme court. We will....."
"*Ne?! I am not a liar, it did happen to me." she said as her eyes started to tear up.
I had to look away, seeing her like that broke me.
She leaned on me declaring "You promised that we will win. I believed you. Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to be here, to sit through this?! You promised and I trusted you" she said as she stood.
"Please, please..." I said as I pulled her by the arm, trying to stop her.
"*BIRAK." she shouted back as she pulled her arm away from me.
"I am sorry." I said after her.
I fisted my hands, while I watched her walk out.
I took off my robes vigorously throwing them aside, then went on to collect my things.
"Janu..." Noah tried with me. 'We came in knowing that...."
"*Yapma Noah. She isn't wrong is she?! I failed her. She walked out alone. Like how she always felt. Alone."
I know the feeling all to well.
When someone judges and executes without bothering to listen to you. 
I know it too we.
I took my things and rushed out, ignoring Noah calls after me.
I picked up my pace, as her words rang into my ear and how she pulled away from my hand.
That was more than enough evidence for me that she wasn't lying.
The way she flinched and freaked out at my sudden touch only demonstrates how scarred she is.


And before I knew it my eyes blurred behind the curtain of tears, making me bump into someone.
"Ah be careful...." 
"Sorry." I said as I walked on, never stopping.

I finally rushed out the building, into the open air.
I sprinted across the street, almost getting ran over by a truck in the process.
The old driver shouted some insults at me, my ears heard them but my brain could never process them.

I ran into the small pathway in between the two buildings ahead. The place I used to switch my heels into sneakers, but I don't do that anymore. I am used to the pain.

I dropped my things at my feet, then leaned my head against the wall.

There isn't anymore evidence to present and the judge was right, the psychological report would show something but it is not enough evidence.
I placed my right arm on the brick wall before I slid down, falling to my knees.
Evet I was that helpless.
I placed my forehead over my forearm, then squeezed my eyes shut.
I allowed my tears to flow and find their tracks upon my face, with my eye makeup.
I felt like such a failure, I failed her and her trust in me.


Turkish Words
Gel    - Come
Iyi     - Good
Tamam- Ok
Soz-Promise
Oglum-Son
Sabret- Be patient
Nerde bu- Where is it
Hayir-No
Evet-Yes
Hadi-Come on
Hanim-Miss
Bak-Look
Beyefendi-Gentleman
Avkat hanim-Miss Lawyer
Ne-What
Yapma-Don't
BIRAK- Leave



Woooowhhhh what an ending!!!!
But #JaNiko is back.
Let us hope they are.
Imagine if there was some hhistory or a secret crush with blonde Noah.
After each night the sun a new day rises up. Keep that in mind, Tamam.
Hadi till next time, sending my love and lots of hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts