Silhouettes: Chapter 24

Hello
Welcome back. <3 font="">
Let's jump straight in and kill Noah.
HAHAHA
Just kidding I like him and with time you will understand why.



Chapter 24: Work Of Art




I walked down the hall smiling to random strangers. 

My phone vibrated in my pocket, I pulled it out.
 A message that read "Good luck to the beyefendi* that dragged me to the beach without any choice, to the most stubborn smug faced person I have ever met. Good luck, Oglum*"
I smiled at that.
I looked up recalling how we he and Ibrahim amca* sat on a bench talking for hours watching the waves come and go.
We started to talk about everything my work, my trip to Alaska.
And finally, it came to him.
He spoke of his wife how he met her back in college, during his Masters degree.
She was a beautiful brunette. Brown curly hair, big brown eyes, and a dark skin that contrasted his paler complexion. How she was a wide gazed girl, who brought life into everything she touched, including him.
He then spoke of his son, who would be around my age now. He told me his son wanted to be a pilot.
He spoke about them with so much love, with teary eyes at his memories.
It was beautiful how even after all this time, he holds into them dearly.
Much like I do with my own mother.

I smiled to myself before resuming my walk down the hall in court. 
Oh I miss everything about this place. 
The workers who I know by name now, the cases, even the looks of weary people going around, hoping they win their cases.

Then I felt a hand landing on my left shoulder, I looked over my right shoulder thinking it was Luka.
But to my utter surprise it was Judge Mehmet.
"Salam Niko Bey.' he said lightly squeezing my shoulder 'Oglum ne bu*?! I , for once, judge against your client and you disappear. Yapma boyle* I miss my student."
"Judge Mehmet don't say that. I just went back to the states. I am going back to criminal law." I responded with a grin.
"Since I wont be in your cases anymore. Can we drop Judge ve Bey filan?!Call me Mehmet amca." He said squeezing my shoulder and guiding me down the hall.
"Bak hanim* ve beylars*, this is my prodigy.' he said looking at me, with the proudest look over 'I had the honour of teaching him when I visited America 10 years ago. It was one seminar, but he blew me away. At only 22 he managed to outsmart his master, didn't you?!" he said looking up at me, because I was taller than he was. 
"Hayir*, no way. Judge Mehemet taught me a lot, helped a lot.' I looked down at him as I added 'and I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for his endless efforts on me."
It is true. 
He kept in touch with me, waiting for me to get back to Istanbul.
He took under his wing the moment I landed. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have had my first conference in here.
The same conference I....
Neyse* Niko
"Well he is the son you never had Mehmet." said an old man with thick glasses, another judge.
Judge Mehmet smiled while I fidgeted under his hand, I just didn't like when people brought that up.
Judge Mehmet didn't have kids, his wife couldn't conceive, some medical stuff I never quite got.
Regardless, he is a great man with a huge career and the most loving and supporting wife by his side, which he once described to me as "all of my life".
"And a good-looking one as well." added the lady while wiggling her eyebrows at me.
I let out an awkward laugh that sounded more like a cough.
"Don't scare my boy. He is back in criminal law. I am proud of you oglum. Iyi yaptin*."
"Teşekkurler*." I told the man who still had his arm over my shoulder.
We chatted for some time. 
I shared with them the story of a case in the US  were a man robbed a bank to escape his nagging wife and miserable life. He choose prison over that. After robbing the bank, he sat waiting for the cops to take him. Long story short, due to his health problems the judge gave him a house arrest as a sentence.
"I don't know what is worse him being stuck at that house or his wife knowing about that."
I gained some laughs in that crowd.
"Well I better go." I said after some time.
I had a few "hayir stay" shouted back at me.
"Oh leave him, he is a busy man.' Judge Mehmet clapped back before whispering to me 'We will catch up later tamam*."
I nodded back at him.
"Hadi* bye, bye." I said as I flashed the little crowd a smile.
I waved at them before turning around.

And out of the blue, she was there.
The one person I didn't expect to see.
I walked up to her still smiling a little.
"Janu." called a man to her left.
I fixed my eyes on her, nodding before walking away.

I walked off, before meeting Luka at the end of the hallway. I took a turn looking at her one last time. 
She was watching me, while that man still kept calling her. He placed one hand over her elbow to divert her attention to him.
Niko oglum you just got your answer. Hadi look ahead and walk away.

And I did.

*

I cannot believe I have been in here for the past 3 hours. I was going around visiting old friends. I even sneaked into one of Judge Mehmet trials for fun.

I walked ahead beaming at a lawyer, I think his name was Yusuf.

I picked up my pace, I was about to turn around the corner.
Then someone came walking straight into me, I put my hands out holding them by the arm, as I said "Ah be careful...."
"Sorry" she said as she disappeared between the crowd.
"Was that...?" I asked myself, looking behind her with furrowed eyebrows.
"JANU." called that blonde finishing my sentence and confirming my doubt.
He stood in the hall with hands at his waist.
I looked at him, before making my way through the crowd, after her.
*
I ran as fast as I could through the crowd, asking for way every now and then. 
I pushed my way beside a fat old man before the exit. My eyes were fixated on Janu, watching her and how her robes ruffled behind her.
She ran-jumped over the stairs, sending her hair up in the air behind her before she landed at the end of the stairs
OUFF YA SHE IS FAST. 
I have no idea how she manages to run in those heels of hers.

At last, I stepped out the building, as I saw an old driver shouting at her "ARE YOU BLIND?! CANT YOU SEE MY TRUCK?!!!"
But she walked leaving behind the man and his insults.
"Abi*. Pardon. She got bad news." I said as I approached the old driver.
"Tamam. Ama* she will get run over."
"Tamam abi. Bende*." I said, placing my hand over my chest.
Bende

Even while talking to him I fixated my eyes on her. I saw her running into the small alley in-between two building ahead.
I sprinted following her trail, hoping she wouldn't have gotten to the main street.
Where are you Jane?!
Something tugged at my heart, telling me to look over my shoulder.
And I did.
And there she was on the ground, on her knees, with her head leaning against the wall.
I walked slowly back to her, I stood for a second not knowing exactly how to approach her.
She finally looked up, her eyes filled with tears.
And that's when it all dissolved off my chest.
I stayed quite, as I starred back at her.
She swallowed hard, as she asked in a shaking voice "Ne?! Ne* istiyorsun*?! Now you are aware of my presence."
So you are pissed at me for ignoring you?! 
WOW
I licked my lips, resisting the urge to smile or worse smirk at her. It was amusing to my ears, hearing how annoyed she was by me ignoring her.
But instead I took a step forward, taking what she said as an invitation.
I stopped two steps before I squatted down, in front of her. I laid my wrists on my knees as I crooked my head the side, starring into her eyes.
You are quite something, aren't you?!
I could finally see the girl from that conference, with her beautiful eyes that were so innocence and pure.
Those eyes only beheld only guilt and sadness, when the looked at me, no revenge or hatred.
I couldn't resist the urge of smiling, she is beautiful to look at, even in that state.
She looked away from me, depriving me from her beautiful eyes.
"Janu. It is not your fault."
Nothing came out from her side
"You did not fail her. The system did."
She looked back at me, her lower lip curled and trembling.

"Janu." I said softly.
I stretched my left fingers, letting the tip of my finger brush  against her forearm.
Then Janu propelled her body forward, into mine. She pushed her herself into my arms, resting her forehead against my chest. She started to sob hysterically, clenching and digging her fingers into my suit.
I wrapped her with my arms, as shook in between them.
She was so fragile, so delicate.
"Tamam. Shhhhhh. Tamam. You are not alone." I kept whispering.
 I rested my chin over her head, I clenched hard at her waistline while my other hand ran over her silky hair.

I promise I will make whoever did this pay, vAllahi* I will.


*
(3rd Person POV)

After sitting in that alley for some time, Niko waited for Janu to calm down.
Janu wasn't in a state to object, as Niko picked up her things and leaded her to his car.


They sat silently in traffic, with nothing filling the car but Jnau's deep sighs.
Niko sat fixating his eyes on the road as they drove.
They stopped at a red light and he finally decided to look around.
His eye finally rested on her.
She leaned her head on the window, looking out into the world.
This.
Her position specifically reminded Niko of his depressive states.

Niko outstretched my arm, turning on the radio. He scrolled through his playlist searching for one song in particular.

SYML - "Girl (Acoustic)" 
He smiled to himself as he saw the name of the song read on the screen.
"Hadi ama listen to this"
Janu's head snapped at the lyrics, catching some of her attention. Then she went back into her older posture, with her head on the window.

Niko twisted the side of my mouth thinking what he shall do next.
He tapped his fingers on the stirring wheel, contemplating what to he shall do next.

He took a deep breath.
I want you to see this

"Today.' he sang 'oh out of tune, but we will go on." 
Her head snapped in his direction.
"And all of you days
I’ll wear your pain" "He didn't sound awful" Janu thought.
Heal what I can in your troubled mind"
Niko outstretched his right hand, wiping an escaping tear from Janu's face. She looked down, shyly at his sweet gesture.
"Sometimes our bodies will hurt for some time
And the beauty in that can be hard to find
I want you to find it
I want you to seeeeeeeey this. I want you to seeeeey this"
She rested head on the headrest, with her body slightly positioned in his direction. She watched him singing, moving his head side to side. He closed his eyes, acting as if he was so into the song. She smiled at his adorable attempt. "So run, Wake up and run my little one
I wanna tear down these walls that can’t hold you inside
And rip out the cords and uncover your eyes
We’ll make our escape in the dark of night' he winked at her before going on 'I need you to see this"


"So you wont sing this part?!" she asked with a smug grin.
"Yuh* ama yuh Janu hanim."
She breathed out a little laugh at his response.
"Ama tamam. I am that confident in myself. AHHHHHHHHHH." his voice broke as he ran out of breath, making Janu burst out laughing at him.
He smiled, resisting the urge to laugh himself as he went on to sing with the worse voice he could put on. 
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH."
Janu kept giggling, holding her tummy like a little child. S
"You are just jealous, because you cant sing as beautifully as I do."
"Tabiki*." she nodded back, still laughing.

And he did all of that just to hear laugh, to see her smile

He leaned back starring into her eyes, smiling back at her.

And the verse came "That falling in love is a strange work of art" They looked into one another eyes, confirming that line. They didn't know how. But they just knew it then.
Good night.
----------------------------------------------------
TURKISH WORDS
beyefendi* - gentleman
Oglum* - son
amca* - uncle
bu* - it
Bak hanim* - listen miss
ve beylars* - and gentleman
Hayir* - no
Neyse* - however
Iyi yaptin* - well done
Teşekkurler* - Thanks
tamam* - okay
hadi* - come on
Ama* - but
Abi* - brother
Bende* - It's on me
ne istiyorsun* - what you want
 vAllahi* - swear to god
Yuh* - expression for "what else"
Tabiki - Of course

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts