Silhouette: Chapter 22

Welcome back. 
Last chapter was everything! 
One of my favourites.
Let's jump in. 


Chapter 22: New Beginnings 

Aretha Franklin - Respect (RIP) :'( 


*Headphones on STOP 


Put your shades on flip your hair to the side.

Throw that bag over your shoulder.
Take a step forward, into the hustle outside. 
Tap your feet to the beat. 
And walk ahead. 
Ignore all the idiots looking at you wondering "Are you crazy?!" 
HAHAHAHA Well, I am fully covered, I am already medically diagnosed as a crazy person.
But I don't know about your excuse. 
What with idiot watching me closely?!
I will ignore you and keep up with my beat. Yup he is shaking his head at me. He was standing leaning back against a car with hands in his jeans pockets.
Hair flip, for you specifically for watching and judging me.
I walked up at him, banging my head slightly to the sick beat. "YO. Dude where can I find a cab?!" I asked him. 
He kept shaking his head then started laughing at me. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" I sang as I dropped my suitcase at his feet. I started dancing "JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RESPECT" I started moving my hand right in front of his face, dancing. But honestly I was only doing that to tease him. 
And he yanked the headphones out of my ears. "*AYE" I said rubbing my ears and pouting at him.
"DUDE *NE?! *BEN SENIN KARDEŞIN MAYMUN?!" 
"Hhaahah.' I started to laugh 'good to see you." 
I swayed my body still dancing to the beat playing in my head. 
He outstretched his arms, pulling me into a tight hug. He lifted my feet of the ground as he started to shout from the tops of his lungs "IT IS GOOD TO HAVE MY NIKO BACK, *CANIM BENIM, ABIM." 
"*Yavaş." I said in between laughs. 
*
(36 hours earlier) 
I laid my cheek upon my hand, watching while Hayat Teyzem and Luka argued who will be holding the phone. They kept pulling the phone shaking it slightly, making me smile to myself. They seemed like two kids fighting over their favorite toy. 
We were facetiming.
"I will talk to him first." 
"Well he is benim abi." 
"And he is benim *oğlum, right Niko?!" 
Oh no. 
"*Evet. *Ama I love both....." 
"*Bak" she said ending the argument. "Oğlum, how have you been?! Are you eating well. Niko when are you coming back?!" She asked. "I am fine and to rest your mind I have gained 7 kilograms.' I smiled at her before adding 'I am not sure yet. May be after a month or three." I answered. "NE?! NE ONE MONTH?! You have been away for a over year now. Hadi come back." 
"It is not up to me." I half-lied. 
Evet, I have been here for over a year. I checked out of my rehabilitation center around 4-5 months ago. But I stayed. I reached out to my older friends, my college colleagues to be exact. I attended their trials with them, my main focus was criminal trials. I witnessed everything, literally everything that can come up into your mind. I helped them out, when they asked for my opinion, but for the most part I sat back and watched how everything went. It was good, I learned a lot. And my therapist advised me to do so, because I discussed with her the possibility of me going back to criminal law. So yeah baby steps. 
The half lie is that I am currently in Alaska, I have been in here for a month now. But only Luka knows of that, because if Hayat Teyzem knew she will make me come back. I didn't want to see her cry or beg me to come back, so Luka and I lied that I am still in rehab. I just wanted some time to reflect and really immerse myself into nature, alone. And it have been an amazing, eye opening month. 
"I will be back *tamam." 
"Tamam." she said back defeated. 
She handed the phone to Luka and walked out of the screen. I knew it for fact that she was crying. And I felt awful about that. 
"How have you been, Luka?!"
 "*Iyi." 
"How is Deniz?!" 
"Interrogating me whenever she sees me." he said back laughing. 
I crocked my head to the side mouthing "Hayat Teyze." 
He shook back his head. "Deniz iyi and everything is going well." He answered back, winking. 
"Hadi I better go."
"*Görüşürüz." 
We hanged up.
My screen went black and I blinked at my reflection on the phone. Where have all that time went?! 
Niko, you just had my last facetime with them in here, outside the country.
I sat back remembering my first with them. It was one month after I checked into my rehabilitation center. I wasn't allowed to contact them before then. Hayat Teyze cried through the entire call, while Luka kept his head out of the screen so I wont see his teary eyes. I held it in through the entire call, but only to breakdown crying after it. I lied on my bed, holding her picture to my chest. It was harder without the two of them. It was such a lonely time but it did pass. 
*
I stood back in front of the rehab center, the same one I checked into 2 years ago. 
"We are back" I declared to myself. The brick walled building that stood between the greenery, stared back at me. But this time it is different, it will be different. I took a deep breath, tightening my grip around the handle of my suitcase.
I took a step forward. 
*
 "Why are you back?!" My therapist asked. I just checked myself in. They took all of my personal belongings. I wont be allowed a thing except my clothes and Annem photograph and to be honest I couldn't care less. I was more than happy to give away my phone. Only set back for me was Luka and Hayat Teyzem. But they weren't a set back really. 
"I am back to get better."
"What makes it different this time?!"
"What makes it different is that I want my past to stay in the past. It got heavier on my shoulders after all these years, pushing down on me. I am drowning. I am suffocating under all of it. I am miserable. I want to find my peace. I want to be happy and I will fight to get that. Is that too much to ask for?!"
"No it is not. I think we are already at a better start. Last time your friend checked you in. But this time you came here yourself."
"Yes! I want to get better for him and Hayat Teyze, his mother. They are the ones I will keep holding to when it gets darker and harder in here and I know that it will."
"And we will be able to discuss that incident fully?!"
"Yes. This time no off-limits topics." 
*
I smiled to my reflection then announced to myself "You came a long way Nikola Bey. I am proud of you." 
I got up to my feet. I had a flight back home I need to catch. 
*
I stood in a small coffeeshop in the airport, getting some snacks and water. I was paying the old lady, when it caught my sight.
A slice of chocolate cake. I stood looking at it for a second, smiling at the sweet memories that a chocolate cake brings me. 
"Do you want some?!" The old lady asked, interrupting my thoughts.
I looked at her then at the cake "Why the hell not?! I still have some time." 
I sat down smiling to the cake before having my first bite into it. 
*
(Day 34 in rehab)
"So tell me about Hayat Teyze." my therapist requested.
"Hayat teyzem. My aunt, but not at all. She was a cooker at my Grandparents house. She loves me like her own son." 
I licked my lips as I looked to the side, recalling her sweet smile. "She smells like how a mother would smell like, if that make any sense...." 
I stopped in my tracks as my eyes teared up.
"Chocolate cake.' I said, letting a small laugh 'Chocolate cake." And before I could stop myself a tear escaped my eyes, I wiped it as fast as I could. I will not allow it to find it's track on my face. "Nikola it is okay you don't have...…………"
"You don't get it.' I declared as I got to my feet 'I want to get better. I want to go back home. I want to run into her arms. I want to be happy. Do you know she stood up for me one day, against him. She held me at night till I fell asleep. She loves me. I want to get better for her and Luka. They are all that I have left."
"I understand and I am on your side Nikola."
"I know." I said with a deep sigh.
 Is there anyone else?!"
"There is, but she...She is what you would call outside the incident and my terrible past.…But she doesn't see me in that light."
"Do you want to talk about her?!"
"No I don't. And I will never do."
I walked to the window, staring to the busy world under.
I focused my gaze on a child hiding from his friend, playing hide and seek.
Then I added "Why talk about things that will never exist?! Why waste your time?!"
"But..."
"She hates me. I don't even exist to her."
I went on to watch how the boy got caught by his friend.
*
 I finished that cake, it tasted terrible to be honest but I finished it anyway.
No chocolate cake can compare to Hayat Teyzam, she bakes it with love. I waited by my gate before boarding my 11 hours flight, it will be a long journey home.
And these hours seem to be longer than the past months. 
*
Luka finally let go of me.
But he couldn't help it, he grabbed my head and started rubbing my head, announcing "Abim is back. He is back." 
"YAH *BIRAK." I said back as I broke away from his grip.
We started to goof around. Let's say we got police security called on us, because an old lady thought we were fighting. 
"Bu benim abim, tamam. I haven't seem him in a year." Luka told the security. 
"Tamam hadi get into your car and leave." He ordered us.
We silently obliged then got into the car. I hopped into my seat, while Luka ran the car. 
It's so good to be back in my car. 
And I started "So are we engaged?!" Luka started laughing then reached for the radio. 
SYML - Where's My Love (Acoustic) 
And the last few minutes of "Where's My Love?!" played. 
Oh I love this song!
I turned the volume up. 
I looked over at Luka and asked "Was it the last song played?!"
He nodded quietly.
"Was it the song she listened to?!" 
He looked at me, smirking "We shall ask about your engagement instead."
 I curled the angle of my mouth at him in annoyance.
"Tamam ya. Today we won't be sad. Abim came home." He said as he punched me lightly on the shoulder. 
"Ouch." 
"*Yapma so delicate Niko bey aren't you?!" I looked sideways at him, acting pissed and grumpy. 
Then he surprised me! 
"Did you run away?! Did you run away?! I don't need to know." 
He started to sing, elbowing me then pointing to the radio. 
As if asking me if I ran away, making me break my grumpy face into a little smile. 
Then he went on "If you ran away. If you ran away. Come back. Ohoohwoowwhhhh." 
"Just come home." He raised his eyebrows acting as if he is so into the song. Even though it wasn't his type of songs he listened to.
"Ama Abim already came back home." He declared in a singing voice.
I started to laugh at that. 
This day is one of the best, like ever. 

*


I stood right behind Niko as he peaked into the living room.

The back of my head hit the ornament that hanged in the corridor, startling both of us.
Luka mouthed to me "*Sus" with a pissed expression.
"Tamam" I mouthed, rolling my eyes at him.

Funny, it was exactly like how we were as kids.
Making sure that the way was clear. That Hayat Teyzam wasn't in the kitchen, so we could sneaked in.

"*Annem" Luka called.
"*Burda. In the kitchen."
"Tamam, *geliyorum."
He walked into the kitchen, but I stayed behind. Just like how we planned on the drive here.

"Selam" he said loudly.
The only voice coming was the knife tapping the cutting board.

"Bırak." She replied in a low voice.
I watched her from the mirror that hanged on the wall. It was hanging in an angle that allowed me to watch her, but she couldn't see me even if she turned around. 

Even with her back to me I knew her face wore an exhuasted sad expression.
"*Annem n'oluyor?!"
"NE?! Ne, n'oluyor?!" She shouted as she banged the knife on the kitchen counter making Luka jump back. 
OUFF NIKO BE CAREFUL OR YOU WILL REVEAL YOUR HIDING SPOT
"Seni n'oluyor abim is not here and you walk in all lofty and happy with yourself! When did I raise you like this?! I don't want to hear a word from you."
Ouch
"Annem...."
"NE?!' She pointed the knife at Luka not fully aware of it 'DIDNT I TELL YOU TO STAY SILENT?!"
Luka put his hands up, surrendering.
She turned her back to him and continued to slice her tomatoes.
"Annem...."
"YAPMA." she half begged.
She wasn't aware, still.
"Annem..."
She looked up sighing, then slammed the knife on the kitchen counter.
She walked away from her tomatoes, leaving Luka.
She passed right by me, wiping her tears.
I held her hand. The same hand she was wiping her tears with.
"Bırak beni Luka."
"*Hayir"
Her lips curled as she broke down crying "Allahum today I can hear his voice and feel his presence in my house."
"Do you miss him?!"
She nodded as she placed a hand on her heart, as she squeezed her eyes shut.
"He misses you more. The only woman he will ever call Annem after his own mother."
She snapped her head into my direction at the declaration.
She looked at me, blinking, taking it all in.
"Hayat teyzem, Hayat Annem." I said smiling at her as my eyes to copy hers.
I opened my arms wide, nodding as I whispered "*Gel".
I wrapped my arms around her, as her body shook against my body. I swayed my body slightly rocking her and rubbing her back with one hand.
I placed my chin on the top of her head, looking at Luka who was coughing and avoiding my gaze.
He was crying as well.
"Ahhh I cant believe you are here." she said as she reached my face, placing a soggy kiss on check.

Hayat Annem and I stood like that for some time. She wept, drenching the front of my shirt, but today I don't care I don't care at all.

*

I stood by side of the road, with my hand in my pockets kicking my foot at the air.
"Hadi' Luka nagged me 'let us grab your things, then come back."
"*Bı dakka." I said as I looked at the end of the street.
I saw her.
She didn't see me at first but when she did.
I fell down into my knees, opening my arms to her.
Like a seagull she spread her wings and started running towards me.
"NIKOOOOOOOOOOOOO." 
And her small figure hit mine with force, making me lose some of my balance.
"Tamam.' I said in between laughs. 'tamam Deniz."
"You are back?!" she said in a squeaky thrilled voice.
She couldn't stand put in one place from the excitement.
"Evet I am back, for you specifically."
She looked behind me at Luka and pulled a face.
Oh I forgot this, but she doesn't like him. She told him once that he was the one keeping me away.
Huh.
I put my left hand out for her to hold.
"Hadi gel."
We crossed the street, with Luka following behind silently.
I walked up to the *dondurma salesman.
But Deniz kept pulling me back, however I kept going not letting her hand go.
I finally stopped before the man.
She held my left hand with both of her hands, hiding right behind my leg.
"Can I have some, please?!" I asked him.
He looked at me half shocked, half terrified. 
He swallowed hard as he said in a low voice "Evet."
"I am sorry for my behaviour the last time, but no one can harm my Deniz in any way. Keep a check with my name on it and I will be paying you paying weekly.' I said then added firmly 'but never ever shout at her or hurt her in any way, or you know what will happen."
I knelt down to the *küçük hanım "Bak you don't have to be afraid from anyone, you are not alone. And if you want some *dondurma, just come here and he will give you some. If he didn't just tell me, but I know that he will. Now tell me what flavors you like and what shall we take to your family?!"
"Lemon ve cilek" she said with a huge smile.
But still she was terrified from that man.

I walked back into the bakery hand in hand with Deniz, holding the ice cream tub with my other hand. 
I looked down at her angelic face. 
Ice cream was smothered all over it, yet she smiled to me.

*

I stood before the old beige building. I had to run out from Luka's grip, I could barely convince him that I will be back in less than 2 hour.
He have been acting like an obsessed girlfriend.
Bless him, he want me in his sight 24/7, and I get him.
It have been hard on the three of us.
I looked around at the sign but it wasn't there.
I took a deep breath as I got into the building.
I took the small staircase into the second floor. 
But it was deserted.
I sighed as I sat on the staircase recalling my last encounter with him.
I lifted my head upwards.
Bi dakka.
I jumped to my feet and ran up the stairs into the third floor.

I knocked on the door, as I shifted my weight between my two feet nervously.
I knocked again.
Still no sounds came from behind the door, or any form of life.
I looked left and right not knowing exactly what to do.
I took a step back as the door swung open.
He stood there, with an old pair of grey pants and a navy old t-shirt, looking at me.
He looked tired and pale, like he haven't been out in days, weeks to be exact. 
"Selam." I started.
He crocked his head to the side.
"What do you want?!"
"I came to apologize.' I took a deep breath 'I am sorry Ibrahim bey."
"Apology accepted." he said swinging the door.
I outstretched my hand holding the door from closing, from keeping me out.
"I need my therapist...."
"Huh, Nikola you don't need me anymore. You have been to one of the best treating centers." He said as he went to close the door again.
"What if I relapsed?!"
"Then go back to your therapist." He said with a weak smile.
"I need you."
He shook his head at me "You are better off without me."

"Hayir I am not.' I said half shouting 'Tamam not as a therapist, but as a friend. And you need me. I need you in this journey. You, yourself told me we have been through the same thing, remember?! Therefore we need one another. Be my friend this time, I need you. I want to be your friend."
"I don't know what you want from this old man. You wont take no for an answer, will you?!"
I shook my head at him.
He opened the door wide open for me.
"*Hoşgeldiniz" He said before I walked into his apartment, into his life.


I stood looking outside the window, watching the kids play in the small street down.
A boy in a blue shirt kicked the ball to the another in red, but he missed it. The blue shirted boy motioned to his friend that he is a lousy player, but in reality he is a terrible ball passer.

"Niko oğlum, food is ready." Hayat Teyze came from below interrupting the game I was watching.
Somehow with her voice, the chocolate cake she baked for dessert scent traveled up to my room.
"Coming Hayat Annem." I replied.

I looked around the little bedroom, before my eyes landed at her picture on the dresser "Annem I moved in with them. They are my family, they always have been. I hope you wont hate me for calling Hayat Teyzem, Hayat Annem."
I walked over to her, picking the frame up "Annem I am happy. I am content for the first time in such a long. I love you, always have, and always will."

I placed a kiss on her, before I walked out the room.

-------------------------------------------
TURKISH WORDS
*AYE                                                          ITS A EXPRESSION LIKE AA
*NE                                                             WHAT
*BEN                                                           YOU
*BEN SENIN KARDEŞIN MAYMUN      I AM YOUR BROTHER, MONKEY
*CANIM BENIM ABIM                             MY DEAR BROTHER
*Yavas                                                          SLOW
*oglum                                                         SON
*Evet                                                            BUT
*Bak                                                             LOOK
*tamam                                                        OKAY
*Iyi                                                              FINE
*Gorusuruz                                                  SEE YOU SOON
*BRAK                                                        LEAVE
*Yapma                                                        DONT DO THAT
*Sus                                                             QUIET
*Annem                                                       MOTHER
*Burda                                                         HERE
*geliyorum                                                  COMING
*Annem n'oluyor                                       WHATS HAPPENING MOM
*Hayir                                                          NO
*Gel                                                             COME
*Bi dakka                                                       ONE MINUTE
*kucuck hanim                                             LITTLE MISSY
*dondurma,                                                  ICE CREAM

*Hosgeldiniz                                                WELCOME




The end!
It is more of a new start really.
Tell me how you found this chapter.
Nikola journey in Rehab is a very long one, I am not sugarcoating it but it is very long.
We will be looking at it in hindsight.
#JaNiko are back.
I cannot wait for the next time they meet up.
Sending my love, hugs, and kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts