Silhouettes: Chapter 40

Hello. Welcome back.

Chapter 40: Empty Tin Cans



Luka POV:

I kicked an empty tin can in Niko's direction as we walked down the empty streets.

We were heading back from the neighbourhood's grocery shop. Niko dragged me out with the excuse of wanting to buy a soap detergent that annem likes. 
When we got to the store he made me get it as he "didn't know which brand to get" he declared as he pushed 50 TL into my hand. I looked down at it and back at him, shaking my head "What a stingy man are you."
"Hadi git git. I will be waiting for you here." he said pushing me into the store.
I looked back at him, shaking my head before walking in.
Ama me being me, I just knew that he knew the exact brand. He had another goal in mind.
I walked in, moving towards the back of the store. Five steps in I turned around, shouted at Omar my request and placed the 50 TL on the cashier. I peaked out at the Niko as I saw him moving super fast in the pharmacy on the opposite side of the street.
I smiled to myself as I watched him push the little pill box deep into the pocket of his jacket. It wasn't for him.
I just knew it then.


"So we are still doing this?!" Niko started as he kicked the empty can back to me.
"Tabiki" I replied as I tossed the can back to him.
This was a habit of ours since we were kids you see. We would be kicking any abandoned can or object we found on the streets since we were kids till we reached our home.

"It is like nothing have changed, but also everything have changed." Niko stated, stating what was on my mind.
"Evet ama now we are grown men. One of us is getting married, while the other pay for thier honeymoon trip." I finally said it.
He stiffened as he kicked the can forward instead of kicking back to me.
"Niko"
"Don't start."
"Niko" I called out his name firmly this time.
"Don't ruin the mood. I wanted to treat my brother for his wedding."
"Ama somewhere like Trabzon would have been enough."
"And you dare call me stingy."
"Tamam you are not ama I would still have been happy."
"Ama I wont be. Nur's wishes to see Paris, to see it with you. Cant you just grant her wish and mine?"
"I can ama Niko your bank account...…."
He kicked the can towards a hard brick wall in annoyance. I watched as the can crashed against the wall in a loud thud.
"Don't start the money talk." he said walking ahead and leaving me behind.
 After a few moments of silence, he suddenly turned around and announced threateningly "Don't you dare bring this up to Annem, Nur, or anyone else."
Anyone else?!
I swear even from this distance and little lights that illuminated the dark, I could tell he would kill me if I did.
I stopped walking and called "Niko" under my breath, more to myself really. I watched him take the turn ahead towards our house.
"What are you doing oglum?!"

Hayat Annem POV:

I stood in the kitchen's doorframe, after kissing my future daughter-in-law goodbye. Luka just left with her, to drive her back home.
I smiled to myself as my eyes caught the soap detergent the boys ran out to get. Typical Niko's way to indirectly apologize to me.
I stepped inside heading to the sink to check if there was something left that needed washing.
Then it caught my eyes.
The beautiful brunette sat on the little steps that lead to our little garden in the back. I could only visualize a bit of her face from here. She looked beautiful with her green dress and long brown hair blowing in the wind.
She was in deep thought to the limit that when I cracked open the kitchen's window, it went unnoticed.
I watched her hands wrap around herself shielding her from the cold breeze of the night.
I beamed, noticing a pair of hands holding up a fuzzy blanket then gently placing around her shoulders.
Janu looked up and behind to my oglum Niko. I saw her face mixed with bewilderment and awe as she fixated her eyes on him.
"May I have this seat?!" he asked softly with a smile.
She nodded quietly.
"Eveeet Janu hanim, we you are sick and insist on sitting outside don't we?!" he stated in a mocking tone.
"Niko" she said in pleading nasally voice.
"Tamam tamam. I will get you something to keep you warm." he announced as he got up to his feet.
Hayat this is your moment.
I moved from the window to the stove to check on my tea I was preparing for my sick guest. It was ready to be served, luckily.
I took out a cup and poured the tea just as Niko walked into the kitchen.
"Oglum I was about to look for you. I think Janu is sick, can you take this cup to her?"
He looked at the cup in my hand then at me, puzzeled.
"This is herbal tea! Ne zaman...…….?" he started interrogating me.
"Hadi git git."
He raised his brows then started to walk away, before stopping in his tracks "Hayat annem beni bekele I will take your confession later on."
I let out a little chuckle, before I took my place back at the window. I watched him hand her the tea after stating that it was from me.
Then suddenly his eyes shot in my direction, but luckily I ducked down just in time.
I was down on all fours, on the floor with my hand clutching my heart.
"What's wrong?!" I heard Janu ask over my breath breath.
"Hayat look at yourself now? Ne bu Niko, take it slow on me." I said lecturing myself.
"Hic." he replied in a calm tone.
I quietly pulled out a chair by it's legs then sat down, leaning on the table in the kitchen.
"Did you enjoy tonight's dinner?!"
"Evet" she replied energetically.
"Great"
"Biliyor musun I love little home gardens."
"Gercekten? Neden?!"
"Evet. I spent most of my childhood in Dedem's (Grandpa's) garden."
"So he is a big part of your childhood?!" I overheard Niko ask.
"Evet. What about yours?!"
I quietly got up from my chair and stood back at the window.
"Benim Dedem?!" Niko asked with a smile.
Janu nodded back at him.
My eyes watered, as I tried very hard to visualize his face in the dark.
"Well I was raised by him. Huh' he let out a chuckle 'but you have no idea how much I got hit by him. He bet me once for plucking out a few roses from his garden."
He said that in light joking tone, making Janu laugh in the process.
But my eyes overflew with tears at hearing that.
I turned around placing a hand on my heart as I cried silently.
It was my first time.
My first time hearing him mention that man in such a tone. A tone with neither anger nor hatred.
Even though it was dark that night, it was my first time seeing Niko in such light.

I wiped my tears, replacing the pain with a smile. I just knew it then. 
I just knew that finally Niko had it in him.
Niko was falling in love.


Niko POV:
I drove into the main street, I was on my way back to Janu's home. It took me a good 20 minutes to detach Hayat Annem from Janu. They kept holding one another, refusing to let go at the door.
I suggested that Janu could sleep over that she could use my room if she wanted.
But I got a death stared at from both, for my innocent suggestion.
I raised my left hand surrendering, as the other held a water bottle.
I left them behind, then went to start the car.

Janu suddenly shuddered. She kept her shoulders tensed, her failed attempt at keeping herself warm.
I turned on the heater for her, in hopes it keeps her warm.
"Tesekkurler" she said with a little sniff.
"Don't mention it." I replied, as I stopped the car at a red light.
I let out a breath, resting my hand on my lap.
Then my hand hit it.
The second box of medicine I bought for Janu today.

"Evet JanJan. So you are sick. To start with, you insist on sitting in the cold, then refuse to take your medicine. Care to add anything else?!"
"Niko please don't start." she said pleadingly.
"Tamam" I said flatly, while pulling out the box of pills out from my pocket.
"You plan on making me visit every pharmacy in Istanbul till you take your medicine, don't you?!"
"I don't! I just forgot to take it. Please stop, I am having a headache."
"Auh" I handed over the pills.
"Tesekkurler." she said in a low voice before taking them.
"Bala bak you are using me these days, making me your personal nurse and making me work on your case. I should charge you for these services. Ama I am such a generous gentleman."
"Mmm" she drank from the bottle that I placed in the divider earlier, when I got into the car.


After some time passed us, silence did as well.
And I could tell by how quite she grew that she was growing drowsy.
Hadi Niko it is our time to get some answers.
"Janu" I summoned her softly.
"Hmm" her eyes were shut.
The influence of her flu and medication were strong on her.
"What are your thoughts on Hayat annem?" I asked, driving the car forward.
"Cok guzel and kind. I like her"
"Nur?"
"Guzel and loyal"
"Luka?"
"Very wise and loyal."
"Ben?!"
She went quite and moved her head slightly to the right, away from me.
But I could still see her through the sideview mirror. The red light was brightly lighting up her face.
"Why are you holding back?!"
"Nasil?" she asked,  turning her head towards me.
"You are halfway here, but halfway there. You keep fighting the mere idea of me back."
"I am ….I am afraid." she said weakly with her eyes slightly opened.
"From what?!"
"Sen"
"Ben?"
"Wont you take revenge?!" she asked.
"Neden?"
"Like I"
"You think that I am with you now to seek revenge from you?!" I asked, turning fully to face her.
"Hmm"
"Ama neden?"
"Ne neden….?"
I waited for her to finish that sentence.
But she didn't.
Janu surrendered, she fell asleep.

I parked the car in the parking near the beach opposite to Janu's apartment building. I was only a u-turn away from her home.
I leaned back in my seat and laid my head to the left to look over at her one more time today before dropping her off.
She was sound and asleep, her lips parted. She was breathing softly through her mouth. I watched the moonlight illuminating her beautiful face.
"Aren't you a silly girl? I had my radio shut for you. And only you." I declared in a whisper.

I took a deep breath. I reached our for her hand that rested on her lap.
I took her small hand in mine.
I let out a little chuckle at how small her hand was in mine.
"It is never in my intentions to hurt you. Never." I confessed in a whisper.
I laid her hand in one hand, while the other gently extended her fingers to reveal her palm. It was the very palm that I bit earlier that day.
I brought her hand up to my mouth.
I parted my lips, before pressing her palm against my lips.
Just at the site that I bit earlier that day, I left a kiss right in the palm of her hand.
I wrapped my hands around her hand.
"I will always fight to heal your scars."


The end for tonight




Awwwwh aren't they the cutest?!!!!!!
I am smiling to myself from this chapter.
Hope you are as well.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts